Environmental Management System
ISO 14001 2004 is an environmental management standard that defines the environmental policy of an organisation. This standard helps organisations to protect the environment, check pollution, and improve their overall environmental performance. ISO 14001 is a useful tool for an organisation to step up from just maintaining regulatory compliance to an organisation with improved productivity and enhanced competitive advantage.
ISO 14001:2004 is applicable to any business that wishes to establish, implement, maintain and improve an environmental management system and conform to its stated environmental policy.
ISO 14001:2004 certification
ISO 14001:2004 is the perfect certification for companies seeking an internationally recognised environmental management system. This certification can help companies create a structure for managing environmental operations. ISO 14001:2004 is applicable to all types and sizes of manufacturing and service operations throughout the world.
ISO 14001:2004 specifies environmental requirements that the organisation identifies as those which it can control and influence. It does not itself state specific environmental performance criteria. ISO 14001 is flexible - it is as applicable to both the small business and the multinational organisation.
The extent of the application depends on factors like the environmental policy of the organisation, the nature of its activities, products and services, the location and the conditions in which the company functions.
Benefits of adoption
A well-defined environmental management system is essential for an organisation to manage environmental aspects like emission and handling of waste. It is important for the efficient utilisation of resources and energy. Some of the benefits of the ISO 14001 certification are:
- Environmental legal liability
- Reduction in insurance premiums; waste handling costs; water and air permitting fees
- Improved corporate image; strategic investment; improved regulatory relations
- Evaluates system performance through management review and correct management system deficiencies
The certification process is a multiple-step process. The certification cycle is described briefly:
- Application for certification from client
- Offer from PT. TÜV NORD Indonesia
- Offer acceptance from client and order confirmation by PT. TÜV NORD Indonesia
- Preaudit (optional)
- Stage I audit
- Certification audit
- Issue of certificate on successful completion of certification audit
- Surveillance audits at defined interval
- Recertification audit