The ISO/TS 16949:2002 standard, in addition to ISO 9000:1994, specifies the quality system requirements for the design, development, production, installation and servicing of automotive related products. Vehicle component manufacturers have to achieve this standard to be able to supply to the world's largest automotive manufacturers.
Based on ISO 9000:1994, the ISO/TS 16949 standard is being adopted by many major automobile companies. The certification is widely sought by automotive product manufacturers because automobile giants like BMW, Volkswagon, Fiat, Ford, GM, and Japanese auto majors recognise it.
ISO/TS 16949 certification
The ISO/ TS 16949 certification originated in a private standard (QS 9000) for suppliers to the world's automobile majors Daimler Chrysler, Ford and General Motors. ISO/TS 16949 is set to replace all the existing standards and will be recognised as the single worldwide automotive quality system standard.
The ISO/ TS 16949 certification follows the route of the standard ISO 9000 certification and entails the organisation to fulfill the most stringent quality norms. The standard critically evaluates the organisation's commitment to quality with respect to raw materials, body parts and aggregates for the automotive industry.
The ISO/ TS 16949 certification is applicable throughout the automotive supply chain. It is being adopted aggressively by the industry, with many major manufacturers requiring supplier transition by specific dates.
Several factors make registration to ISO/TS 16949 attractive. Major automotive companies in the world recognise this standard. Its success has led to a move towards the development of globally accepted quality management system. Adoption of this standard ensures reduction in errors and continuous development of quality standards in the organisation.
Benefits of adoption
The benefits of adopting this standard are numerous including increased efficiency and improved quality. Some of the benefits are outlined here:
- Improves product and process quality
- Common quality system approach in the supply chain for development and consistency, ensuring that the organisation works more effectively
- Reduction of variation and increase in efficiency
- Reduction in multiple third party registrations freeing up time and supplier resources for other quality activities and improvement opportunities that can enhance business
The certification process is a multiple-step process. The certification cycle is described briefly:
- Application for certification from client
- Offer from PT. TÜV NORD Indonesia
- Offer acceptance from client and order confirmation by PT. TÜV NORD Indonesia
- Preaudit (optional)
- Stage I audit
- Certification audit
- Issue of certificate on successful completion of certification audit
- Surveillance audits at defined interval
- Recertification audit
TUV is recognised all over the world in the registration of automotive quality management systems as ISO/TS-16949 certifying body. PT. TÜV NORD Indonesia ISO/ TS 16949 certification is directed towards improved products and process quality, lower variation factors and optimum output efficiencies. PT. TÜV NORD Indonesia today extends this certification to a large number of auto manufacturers in the country.